The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were stripped of taxpayer-funded police protection after they stepped back from being “working royals” and moved to the US in 2020.
Prince Harry arrived at London’s High Court Tuesday morning to kickstart his three-day case to win back UK security protection for his family.
The Duke of Sussex, 39, and his wife, Meghan Markle, 42, were stripped of taxpayer-funded police protection after they stepped back from being “working royals” and moved to the US in 2020.
Harry’s lawyers had sought a judicial review of the government’s refusal of his offer to hire police officers as his private security detail, which was initially denied by London’s High Court in May.
After the duke’s lawyers appealed the ruling, a judge granted permission for a full hearing to take place that would review the Home Office’s decision to strip the Sussexes of security.
Harry’s challenge of the initial ruling will be heard over a two-and-a-half day period starting from Tuesday.
A decision is expected at a later date.
According to the Telegraph, the case will be held in private over privacy concerns.
The Duke of Sussex is appealing the Home Office’s decision to trip him and his family of security protection in the UK. Tayfun Salci/Zuma / SplashNews.com
The hearing is one of the five High Court claims Harry is involved in, another of which includes his legal bout with UK tabloids over alleged phone-hacking claims.
Harry initially lost a legal bid in May to challenge the British government’s decision barring him from paying for police protection during his visits to the UK.
The exiled royal’s lawyers said in an appeal that the decision had been made with “procedural unfairness” as he had not been able to make “informed representations” before his application was denied.
The Duke of Sussex, 39, and his wife, Meghan Markle, 42, were stripped of taxpayer-funded police protection after they stepped back from being “working royals” and moved to the US in 2020. REUTERS
In the first stage of the case, the duke’s lawyers asked Justice Swift to grant permission for a full hearing, which was ultimately granted.
Justice Swift said it was “arguable” whether the duke “should have had the opportunity to make representations direct to Royal and VIP Executive Committee (RAVEC).”
Harry’s trip to home soil comes just days after his family found themselves in hot water following the release of royal author Omid Scobie’s explosive tell-all book.
The Sussexes currently do not have tax-funded security protection for themselves and their two children when visiting the UK. Alexi Lubomirski / Duke and Duch
In the Dutch translation of Scobie’s biography, “Endgame: Inside the Royal Family and the Monarchy’s Fight for Survival,” the names of two senior royals who allegedly made a “racist” comment about the skin color of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s son were revealed.
The royals who allegedly made the remarks were unmasked this week as King Charles and the Princess of Wales — a claim that has not been confirmed by Scobie nor the royal family.
Royal experts have since urged the Sussexes to end their “deafening silence” and speak out in defense of Charles and Kate.
The royals have not responded to the allegations — or any claims made in the book — and Scobie blamed a “translation error” made by the publisher in the Netherlands for the snafu.